We hear all too often that poor data is the cause of a CRM system no longer being used. I am yet to find a quick fix, although maintaining data quality can be easily achieved if you follow a few simple rules;
1. Abbreviation’s make searching difficult Avoid abbreviating as it makes searching more difficult. It can be frustrating if each company entered into the system looks different from the next, creating consistency is key.
2. ONLY USE CAPITALS IN THE CORRECT FORMAT Whether information is being imported into your system via MINT or other means, take the time to sort through and edit the information before adding it into your system. Adding information in the correct format allows you to use the data for letters, newsletters with no worry and ease later down the line.
3. Don’t use Punctuation I know it is easily said but refrain from using any form of punctuation in company and contact names. Adding /-. makes searching more difficult.
4. Deeper Searches Get into a routine of searching deeper into your system. Search for just part of a word or name allowing you to see all the different matches, this will help you to spot any rogue or misspelt information too.
5. Train and Refresh your staff We all need a little refresher from time to time, make your team confident users. Once your team see the importance of searching and adding information in the same format the rest becomes easy…
6. Maintenance Maintenance of your data is a continuous cycle requiring you and your team to update your data as you go along. Make sure you delete duplication’s and updating incorrect or misspelt information as and when you spot them.
Try creating your very own housekeeping rules and start seeing the difference in your quality of data. We will be here to help you every step of the way…